LA GRANJA DE SAN ILDEFONSO_HISTORY

History of la Granja

La Granja de San Ildefonso, or simply La Granja, is a municipality that includes the following villages: La Granja de San Ildefonso, Valsaín and La Pradera de Navalhorno.

Among its monuments we should mention the Palacio Real (Royal Palace), its gardens and fountains and the Real Fábrica de Cristales (Royal Glass Factory), which nowadays is the head office of the Fundación Centro Nacional de Vidrio (National Glass Centre Foundation).

La Granja and Valsaín are the starting point of several hiking routes in Guadarrama Mountains, which offer incredibly beautiful landscapes to us. La Granja was the summer house of different Spanish monarchs. This place was the scene of a great number of events, such as the signing of the Treaties of San Ildefonso.

The history of this village is closely related to its Royal Palace. Since the House of Trastámara, La Granja has always had, at least, one palace. Concerning this fact, in 1450, Henry IV of Castile founded the palace of Valsaín, which at first was conceived as a hunting lodge. The palace was one of the residences of Philip II, and it was also the scene for the wedding party. Although now it is just a ruin, this palace had the honour to be the first of all the Royal Sites.

Since time immemorial, Spanish monarchs have been linked to La Granja. Likewise, its architectural legacy survives until our days: the Royal Palace, the Collegiate Chruch, the Stables, the Casa de Oficios, the Cuartel de Guardias de Corps, the Royal Gardens, the Royal Palace of Riofrío and the Royal Glass Factory.

HISTORIA DE LA GRANJA

Audio en  castellano-español: Natalia Giles Batalla

La Granja de San Ildefonso, o simplemente La Granja, es un municipio que comprende las poblaciones de La Granja de San Ildefonso, Valsaín y La Pradera de Navalhorno.

Destacan entre sus monumentos el Palacio Real, sus jardines con sus fuentes, así como la Real Fábrica de Cristales, que en la actualidad alberga la Fundación Centro Nacional de Vidrio.

Además destacan las numerosas rutas de senderismo por la sierra de Guadarrama que se pueden realizar partiendo desde La Granja o desde Valsaín, así como los hermosos parajes que se pueden disfrutar recorriéndolos.

Fue residencia de verano de los reyes. Allí se firmaron los Tratados de San Ildefonso.

La historia de esta población está íntimamente vinculada a la de su Palacio Real. Este municipio ha contado con un palacio desde la dinastía Trastámara, ya que Enrique IV de Castilla, en 1450, fundó el palacio de Valsaín, en principio, concebido como refugio de caza. El palacio formó parte de las residencias palaciegas de Felipe II, en el mismo se celebraron los festejos nupciales. Este palacio, ahora en ruinas, tuvo el privilegio de ser el primer palacio de todos los Reales Sitios.

Los reyes de España han estado vinculados con La Granja desde tiempos antiguos. Del mismo modo, su legado arquitectónico perdura en el tiempo: el Palacio Real, la Colegiata, Caballerizas, la Casa de Oficios, el Cuartel de Guardias de Corps, los Jardines Reales, el Palacio de Caza de Riofrío, la Real Fábrica de Cristal.