PLACES OF INTEREST – ABSIDE DE LA TRINIDAD (OLMEDO)

Ábside de la Trinidad

This building was a little Mudejar church of a single nave. The exterior still maintains its header, an apse with two strips of semicircular bend arches and with frames in the straight section, opening its façade in a pointed arch in the wall of the Gospel.

In the sixteenth century it disappeared as a temple, being partly transformed by the carpenter and plasterer Juan de Nieva in the Hospital Real de la Santísima Trinidad (Royal Hospital of the Holy Trinity). After the reuniting decree of Philip II, the other hospitals of the villa, about six, according collected data, moved there. The only one which was not transferred was the Hospital de la Copera or San Nicolás, founded testamentary in 1521 by Francisca Manzanedo, whose first husband, Hernando de Cuellar, was the copero of Ferdinand the Catholic. The copero was the person who gave the cup to his lord to drink.

The Trinidad, after being a hospital, became in the nineteenth century a theater, and subsequently a cinema.

Ábside de la Trinidad

Este edificio, fue una pequeña iglesia mudéjar de una sola nave. Al exterior aún conserva su cabecera, un ábside con dos bandas de arcos de medio punto doblados y con recuadros en el tramo recto, abriéndose su portada en forma de arco apuntado en el muro del Evangelio.

En el siglo XVI desapareció como templo, siendo en parte transformado por el carpintero y yesero Juan de Nieva en el Hospital Real de la Santísima Trinidad. Tras el decreto reunificador de Felipe II, al mismo se trasladaron los otros hospitales de la villa, hasta seis, según datos recogidos. El único que no se agregó fue el de la Copera o de San Nicolás fundado testamentariamente en 1521 por Francisca Manzanedo (su primer marido, Hernando de Cuéllar era copero del rey Fernando el Católico de donde toma el nombre el hospital).

La Trinidad, después de hospital, fue convertida en el siglo XIX, en teatro y posteriormente en sala de cine.

OLMEDO